Notice of HIPPA privacy practices
This notice describes how medical information about you may be used and disclosed and how you can get access to this information. Please review it carefully.
Ola MD’s Commitment to Your Privacy
Ola MD is dedicated to maintaining the privacy of your protected health information (‘PHI’). PHI is information about you that may be used to identify you (such as your name, social security number or address), and that relates to (a) your past, present or future physical or mental health or condition, (b) the provision of healthcare to you, or (c) your past, present, or future payment for the provision of healthcare. In conducting its business, Ola MD will receive and create records containing your PHI. Ola MD is required by law to maintain the privacy of your PHI and to provide you with notice of its legal duties and privacy practices with respect to your PHI.
Ola MD must abide by the terms of this Notice while it is in effect. This current Notice takes effect on October 1, 2020, and will remain in effect until Ola MD replaces it. Ola MD reserves the right to change the terms of this Notice at any time, as long as the changes are in compliance with applicable law. If Ola MD changes the terms of this Notice, the new terms will apply to all PHI that it maintains, including PHI that was created or received before such changes were made. If Ola MD changes this Notice, it will post the new Notice on its Web site and will make the new Notice available upon request.
Uses and Disclosures of PHI
Ola MD may use and disclose your PHI in the following ways:
- Treatment and Healthcare Operations. Ola MD is permitted to use and disclose your PHI for purposes of (a) treatment and (b) healthcare operations.
- Treatment. Ola MD may disclose your PHI to healthcare provider for purposes of a visit or in connection with the provision of follow-up treatment. Ola MD may disclose your PHI to your primary care provider to assist in the coordination of your care.
- Healthcare Operations. Ola MD may use and disclose your PHI in connection with its operations, such as providing customer services and conducting quality review assessments. Ola MD may provide your PHI to third parties to provide various services. If any such third party must have access to your PHI in order to perform its services, Ola MD will require that third party to enter an agreement that binds the third party to the use and disclosure restrictions outlined in this Notice.
- Authorization. Except as otherwise provided in this notice or otherwise permitted under the HIPAA Privacy Rule, uses and disclosures of Protected Health Information will be made only with your written authorization subject to your right to revoke such authorization Ola MD is permitted to use and disclose your PHI upon your written authorization, to the extent such use or disclosure is consistent with your authorization. You may revoke any such authorization at any time, in writing, by sending a revocation notice to the privacy officer at the address mentioned
- As Required by Law. Ola MD may use and disclose your PHI to the extent required by law.
The following categories describe unique circumstances in which Ola MD may use or disclose your PHI:
- Public Health Activities. Ola MD may disclose your PHI to public health authorities or other governmental authorities for purposes including preventing and controlling disease, reporting child abuse or neglect, reporting domestic violence and reporting to the Food and Drug Administration regarding the quality, safety and effectiveness of a regulated product or activity. Ola MD may, in certain circumstances disclose PHI to persons who have been exposed to a communicable disease or may otherwise be at risk of contracting or spreading a disease or condition.
- Workers’ Compensation. Ola MD may disclose your PHI as authorized by, and to the extent necessary to comply with, workers’ compensation programs and other similar programs relating to work-related illnesses or injuries.
- Health Oversight Activities. Ola MD may disclose your PHI to a health oversight agency for authorized activities such as audits, investigations, inspections, licensing and disciplinary actions relating to the healthcare system or government benefit programs.
- Judicial and Administrative Proceedings. Ola MD may disclose your PHI, in certain circumstances, as permitted by applicable law, in response to an order from a court or administrative agency, or in response to a subpoena or discovery request.
- Law Enforcement. Ola MD may, under certain circumstances, disclose your PHI to a law enforcement official, such as for purposes of identifying or locating a suspect, fugitive, material witness or missing person.
- Decedents. Ola MD may, under certain circumstances, disclose PHI to coroners, medical examiners and funeral directors for purposes such as identification, determining the cause of death and fulfilling duties relating to decedents.
- Organ Procurement. Ola MD may, under certain circumstances, use or disclose PHI for the purposes of organ donation and transplantation.